1/21/2011

Movie 21 - Blade Runner


Movie 21 and tonight I watched Blade Runner. This is set in the future, 2019 to be exact. In this future there were some androids made to be as human as possible, even more human than human in some cases. There was very little way to differentiate an android (replicant) from a human. At some point all replicants got exiled to Mars and they were outlawed on Earth. A "Blade Runner" is a special cop that hunts down and "retires" these replicants once they sneak back onto Earth. Earth is a much different place in 2019 especially LA. The city is dark and dirty and neon lit, the people talk in a mishmash of different languages and it's just so dang DIRTY. Advertisements are on everything and televisions are still in tubes. I thought it was kind of funny that with all the prediction the people making this had about the future they couldn't even think that one day our televisions would be inches thick instead of around a foot and a half. I thought the setting was really well done it has that whole cyber punk thing going on that a lot of sci-fi movies seem to have. It feels similar to the 5th Element that way, just with an extra layer of dinge on everything. This movie raises some questions on how to handle a manufactured being and what not. Honestly I didn't have the best viewing of this movie, as I watched it in about 5 different segments due to events outside of the movie needing my attention and as such I didn't get a great feel for the story. I will watch it again at some point, maybe even the director's cut. Unfortunately at the moment I feel that I can't give a proper score so I'll just rate what I did see, just take this one with a grain of salt.

3.7 origami gum wrappers out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment