1/12/2011

Movie 12 - Batman: Under the Red Hood


Movie 12 and I had the pleasure of watching Batman: Under the Red Hood. Under the Red Hood starts out with Robin getting very badly beaten by the Joker and then blown up as Batman is just a little too late to save him. This is an animated film from DC Comics and I must say that I was very impressed by the quality of the animation. When the movie first started I wasn't quite sure about things, the Joker's voice is quite a bit different than what we're used to hearing and the cartoon style looks like it's right out of a modern saturday morning cartoon. Think more along the lines of Batman Beyond than the first Batman animated series. The art style may be questionable to some but I don't think anyone could argue about the animation. The fight scenes are pretty impressive, it's full contact and full motion and the individual cuts can be kind of long for a cartoon action scene. I'm a big fan of long cuts in movies. The kind of brings me to my next point, this movie is brutal. There's plenty of violence but it's not gory or anything. It's just more brutal than any of the cartoon series' ever were and this is really my first animated Batman movie so I didn't know what to expect. The story is a pretty mature one and is very good. Good stuff, don't count this one out just because it's a cartoon or something. I'll be checking out the other animated super hero movies and see how those are in the future.

4.3 thruster mines out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment